Sunday, December 27, 2009

Toni Toni Toni

So I've been quite a bit nostalgic these last few months and as much as I idealize my childhood I know full well that aside from the fact that everyone can admit to loving Backstreet Boys, NSync, Britney Spears and Spice Girls, and therefore commiserate on our bad choices (and laugh fondly and belt out one of our favourites at Karaoke) the elitist in me is quite ashamed of almost all of my young music tastes, save for one or two artists. To most people I'm still quite young, but to the younger generation, the fact that I've seen the phasing out of both cassettes and CD's means I'm ahem "Old". If you ask me what I was raised on I'll tell you a mix of probably what ever adolescent in North America was in the 90's and an added measure of the Jamaican stuff that to this day I love with no hesitation or sense of shame (i.e. Bob Marley, Third World, Buju Banton & Peter Tosh, all of which are male mind you) and why would I? Rifling through all the keepsakes and memories I've held onto over the years (you better believe that it's a lot, I will grudgingly admit to my packrattyness) somewhere between the Spice Girls Posters and the costume I wore for my first self choreographed dance performance at camp -- Backstreet Boys "Everybody" (don't laugh, I still think that it was an outstanding showcase of talent) I found the old cassette that I all but burnt a hole into playing over and over (and over) again in my aunts car growing up and on that cassette that I treasured more than life itself is a medley of two female artist -- Toni Braxton and Mariah Carey. Now as much as I'll always love Mariah she's pretty much sold out to the new R&B/Pop Genre, yet there's something about Toni that is just as soulful as the first day I heard "Another Sad Love Song" or "Breathe Again", I can't stop playing her new single featuring Trey Songz "Yesterday" and the funny thing about it is that considering the fact that they've been singing for over 15 years (regardless of how much plastic surgery they may or may not have had) these women still look phenomenal and sexy too, leaving me with hope in tact that I'll be able to age that gracefully.

No comments: