Monday, June 30, 2008

Who is the Modern Day Audrey Hepburn?

Who is the modern day Audrey Hepburn? My obsession with this style icon goes beyond her life and legacy. There’s only so much I can find about Audrey’s memory before I’m forced to live in the present, so now I find myself looking for her in today’s celebrities. So who is a modern day Audrey, is it Anne Hathaway, Natalie Portman, Keira Knightley or Leighton Meester? If I rank these celebrities on looks I’d be in trouble because all of them have somewhat Audrey Hepburn traits, the high cheekbones, slender figure, and lets face it, they are all drop dead gorgeous. I may favour Leighton because her alter ego Blair on Gossip Girl may actually be the origin of my Audrey obsession, way back when the Gossip Girl books were first published. Leighton’s personal style isn’t really Audrey Hepburn, Blair however is exactly what a modern day Audrey Hepburn should be. Coincidentally I love all these actresses to pieces, Keira Knightley may actually rank the highest in comparison to Audrey’s film credentials, she may not be there yet, but Keira’s film choices are always classics. Anne Hathaway has been touted as a modern day Audrey Hepburn for her take on Hollywood glamour. Anne’s style is elegant and something about her just summons My Fair Lady to mind. Now I simply adore Natalie Portman, the woman can do no wrong, and I think she’s probably the one that could wear the Audrey Hepburn pixie cut best. Her films are great, and she’s definitely on my best dressed list. Everything about her oozes perfection, she’s a brilliant actress (her portrayal of Anne Boleyn had me mesmerized), and I’d kill for her wardrobe. Portman is nearly always featured in Teen Vogue, at least once an issue. So the question still remains who is the modern day Audrey Hepburn? Since I can’t fairly evaluate Leighton Meester as the fictional character Blair Waldorf I will have to make my choice from real life celebrities. In film, I’m leaning towards Keira Knightley, but if I evaluate fashion sense I’m drawn to Anne Hathaway. All these ladies know ‘how to be lovely’, but the one with the film credentials who is also an emerging style icon has to be Natalie Portman, how could I not choose the one with the taste, talent, and face for Audrey’s signature hairstyles.

No comments: