Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Re-Wind: Back Track on I Will Always Love You

I'm one of those people that tends to act like I have a personal relationship with their favourite characters, both in my favourite books and my favourite TV shows. Since I grew up reading Gossip Girl for most of my teenage life the Blair, Serena, Nate love triangle will always hold a special place in my heart. Knowing this is the final novel in the series is actually a little heartbreaking, and in some ways a parallel to the closing chapter of my own adolescence. In my last few posts I've been a bit nostalgic, maybe even overly so, but the truth be told is sometimes you need to look to the past, especially when you're trying to figure out where you're going. I credit Blair Waldorf for my undying love for Audrey Hepburn which at this point in my life surpasses my love and adoration for Blair. It's actually made me into the person I am today, it's the first series I really interacted with and now the final novel was in some ways self reflexive of the last four years of my own life. There are however a few things I'd like to say about the one I will truly always love. I'll forgive Cecily Von Ziegesar and her editor for their momentary lapse in judgement (i.e. the additional, need I say forced) Chuck & Blair story line, that had very little development because she stayed true to the thing that made the books compelling, the never ending love triangle between Blair, Serena and Nate. I may deny that I'm a romantic but when it comes to Nate and Blair, I'll always have a soft spot. It's true what they said when the TV series first started - Nate was always caught between the love of his life and the girl of his dreams, but who does he choose in the end, or for that matter who do Serena and Blair choose in the end: that you'll have to read to believe. You'll love it if you loved the book series, and if you haven't read the series yet, you should seriously think about it (but don't cheat and read just the last one, start from the beginning, it's way more interesting that way). You're nobody 'til your talked about. xoxo - Gossip Girl

No comments: