Friday, January 2, 2009

The Contemporary Goddess of All things Sex, Love and New York

After finishing One Fifth Avenue, the 4th Candace Bushnell book I've read to date I have to say if she wasn't my favourite author for writing my favourite book Lipstick Jungle (and Sex and the City) she is now. Maybe it's the way her description of New York Society makes you feel like an insider or the sheer philosophy of her writing but I can't help but love her. In this installment of the brilliant author's published works she takes on the task of describing the women of New York, this time not through the eyes of a bunch of gal pals learning the ins and outs of life in the Big City, but through the eyes of the Beautiful, Historical, Co-op landmark she describes as One Fifth Avenue. She explores the mixing of Old and New people, money, and society. The women of One Fifth prove to be none other than interesting, with one woman not ready to admit she's out of her prime and who's still grasping at straws to make it as somebody in New York society, and a little twenty two year old twit who tries to inveigle her way into the lives of the residents of One Fifth Avenue only to find out selling your body in one form or another only leads to more pain than pleasure. The way Bushnell captures the very soul of New York in her books makes me think that if I could live in any place written by anyone I'd want it to be New York as told by Candace Bushnell. She is truly the Contemporary Goddess of all things Sex, Love and New York.

No comments: