Saturday, January 29, 2011

Lip Service: 29.01.11



"One [wo]man's style must not be the rule of another's."


-Jane Austen

I may get a lot of flack for saying this but even though I sometimes adore celebrity style choices I know they're not for me. Even things Anna Wintour wears or puts in Vogue don't necessarily pique my fancy, because this tiny little woman (who by the way usually scares the living daylights out of me) has a completely different style perspective from me and I'm completely unapologetic about it. When I was in college my professor told me I had an intriguing way of writing and that I should take some time to identify writers that I liked and try to combine their style with my own, to some extent I listened, but in another breath I'm completely secure in my own abilities. Vera Wang once said that nothing hasn't been done before in fashion, so what fashion is about now is finding a way to meld different things together to create a signature look that's completely you. My style icons give me pause, because not one of them has a body type similar to my own. Yet still three of my favorite stylish women couldn't be more different if they tried, Audrey Hepburn is classic, Leighton Meester is your all-American beauty, and Tami Chynn is a shot of Jamaican flavor.

I'm a girl from the tropics who loves color in an age where everyone would just rather wear black, and I'm always going to stay true to that. My rules for style aren't the same as anyone else's and while I'm sure people can appreciate my taste, when it boils down to styling it for themselves, they'll always opt for something different. Why? Because as Jane Austen says: one man's style must not be the rule for another's. Unless you're one of those people that likes to blend into the background instead of stepping out on your own. Point and case, that's decidedly not me. While I'm not a total fan of Rihanna and her outlandish style statements, the girl has guts and I'm loving her new scent -Reb'l Fleur - because every woman has a little bit of rebellion inside of her and letting that shine through is what makes style so diverse. Did I mention that Reb'l Fleur has the sweet notes of coconut and hibiscus that beckon me back to my childhood in a grown up way.

No comments: